4. Backdate a claim

When you make a claim your tax credits are usually backdated by up to one month.

How to get tax credits backdated

Usually, you don’t have to do anything - it happens automatically. The date they’re backdated to is shown on your award notice.

You have to ask for your tax credits to be backdated if you get:

  • Income Support
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance (income-based)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (income-related)
  • Pension Credit
  • Working Tax Credit and you’re not claiming for any children

To do this include a page with your claim form confirming:

  • your name, address and National Insurance number
  • the date you started work
  • the date you started getting one of the benefits listed, if you’re not in work

Backdating more than a month

Tax credit claims can sometimes be backdated by more than a month if you apply within a month of:

  • getting refugee status
  • qualifying for certain sickness or disability benefits, eg Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment

Don’t apply to backdate these claims until you’ve been given a decision on your refugee status or disability benefits.

You should still apply for other tax credits if you already qualify for them, eg you have children.