If you’re new to tax credits you can order a claim form online.
You can also contact the Tax Credit Helpline for a claim form.
It takes up to 2 weeks for the form to arrive.
You don’t need a claim form to tell the Tax Credit Office about a change in your circumstances.
You can apply for tax credits as a single person or as a couple (known as a ‘joint claim’).
When you call
Before you’re sent the form, you’ll be asked for certain information and given an estimate of how much you’ll get. You may be asked for:
- your National Insurance number (if you have one)
- your income for the last tax year
- details of any benefits you get
- details of any childcare payments
- the number of hours you work per week
Where to send the form
The address is on the form. If you claim benefits you can give it to your Jobcentre Plus, or Social Security Office if you live in Northern Ireland.
You may be charged a penalty of up to £3,000 if you give wrong information:
- fraudulently (on purpose)
- negligently (you didn’t take enough care)
You won’t get a penalty if you made a mistake but took reasonable care when making a claim.