How to claim
Tax credits have been replaced by Universal Credit for most people.
You can only make a new claim for tax credits if you:
- get the severe disability premium, or are entitled to it
- got or were entitled to the severe disability premium in the last month, and you’re still eligible for it
Start your claim
Call HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) to make a new claim.
You’ll be asked for some information and given an estimate of how much you’ll get. You may be asked for:
- your National Insurance number (if you have one)
- your income for the last tax year
- details of any benefits you get
- details of any childcare payments
- the number of hours you work per week
HM Revenue and Customs
Telephone: 0345 300 3900
Textphone: 0345 300 3909
Outside UK: +44 2890 538 192
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
Saturday, 8am to 4pm
Find out about call charges
You could be fined up to £3,000 if you give wrong information.
Get help with your application
Someone else can call HMRC to get general advice on your behalf, but they’ll need to apply for authorisation to discuss your claim. If you want them to manage your payments, they’ll have to become an ‘appointee’.