Children with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND)

Skip to contents of guide

If your child got support before September 2014

Your child will move to an education, health and care (EHC) plan. This will normally happen at a planned review, or when your child moves school. Your council will tell you which.

Your child will already be getting SEN support if they used to get help through:

  • School Action or School Action Plus
  • Early Years Action or Early Years Action Plus

Support after your child leaves school

If your child has a statement of special educational needs, they’ll have a ‘transition plan’ drawn up in Year 9. This helps to plan for their future after they leave school.

They’ll continue to get support during further education. Your child can also ask for an EHC assessment if they need more help than the school or college can provide.

Help and advice

You can call the Contact a Family helpline for help and advice.

Contact a Family helpline
Telephone: 0808 808 3555
Monday to Friday, 9:30am to 5pm
Find out about call charges

You can also get help from Independent Parental Special Education Advice (IPSEA).

IPSEA advice line
Telephone: 0800 018 4016
Monday to Thursday, 10am to 4pm and 7pm to 9pm
Friday, 1pm to 4pm
Find out about call charges