You can claim extra tax credits to help with your childcare costs if you’re eligible. Use this tool to work out what childcare costs you should claim. You can make your claim 7 days before you start paying for childcare.

If you already claim tax credits for childcare costs and your costs have changed, you can use this tool to work out if you need to report the change to the Tax Credit Office.

When calculating your childcare costs, you can only include costs you pay yourself. You may not receive the correct credits if you provide the wrong amount.

You cannot include the following in your childcare calculation:

  • childcare payments from your employer - either in money or childcare vouchers

  • childcare vouchers in return for a reduction in your pay - this is called a ‘salary sacrifice’

  • childcare payments or grants from a government scheme, eg to help you start work or because you are a student

  • childcare costs paid for by an educational or local authority, eg free early learning or nursery education

Start now