Contact the Child Benefit Office if you want to complain about the service you’ve received, mistakes they’ve made or unreasonable delays.

How to complain

You can send your complaint to the Child Benefit Office online (put the word ‘complaint’ in the question box). You can also call or write.

When you complain, include:

  • your National Insurance number
  • your name, contact details and best time to contact you
  • details of what happened, when, any reference numbers, etc
  • how you’d like your complaint settled

The Child Benefit Office will usually respond within 15 working days.

If you’re unhappy with the response

Ask the Child Benefit Office to review their response - their letter will tell you how.

If you’re unhappy with the final decision, you can contact the Independent Adjudicator.

You can also contact your MP and ask them to send your complaint to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman.

You may be able to claim reasonable costs (eg for postage, phone calls) if the Child Benefit Office admits they made a mistake - ask them for details.