Change vehicle details on a V5C registration certificate (log book)

What evidence to give

You must give DVLA evidence or written confirmation if you make any of the following changes to your vehicle. Your V5C update will be rejected if you don’t.

Change of engine number or cylinder capacity (cc)

You need to provide either:

  • a receipt for the replacement engine
  • written evidence from the manufacturer
  • an inspection report provided for insurance purposes
  • written confirmation on headed paper from a garage (if the change took place before you bought the vehicle)

Change of fuel type

You need to provide evidence if:

  • your existing engine is converted – the confirmation must be on headed paper from the garage that did the work
  • a new engine is fitted – provide the receipt as confirmation

Change of weight of a larger vehicle

If you change the weight of a large vehicle (eg a campervan or goods vehicle), you’ll need to provide either:

  • a plating certificate
  • a design weight certificate

Change of body type to motor caravan

Check what evidence you need when you convert a van to a campervan or motor caravan.