Change vehicle details on a V5C registration certificate (log book)

How to update your V5C

Mark any changes on section 7 of your V5C and sign it. Send it to DVLA with any necessary evidence.

If the change isn’t listed in section 7, fill in section 4 of your V5C and send it to DVLA with evidence and a letter explaining the change.

Where to send your V5C

Send your V5C to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1DZ if you changed any of the following:

  • engine size (cc)
  • fuel type
  • weight of a goods vehicle
  • number of seats on a bus

For all other changes, send your V5C to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BA.

What happens next

DVLA will contact you to:

  • confirm the change or tell you if it needs an inspection
  • tell you if the change means you have to pay more vehicle tax

It can take up to 2 to 4 weeks to get a replacement certificate if you apply by post.