Compulsory basic training (CBT) has 5 elements:
- introduction and eyesight check
- practical on-site training
- practical on-site riding
- practical on-road training
- practical on-road riding
You’ll move from one element to the next when your trainer is happy you’ve:
- learnt the theory
- shown the practical skills to a safe basic level
The practical on-road riding part must last at least 2 hours.
How many people you’ll train with
You might train with other learners. There’s a maximum number of:
- 4 learners per trainer for on-site elements
- 2 learners per trainer for on-road elements
Find out more
Read the CBT syllabus and guidance notes for detailed information about what the training involves.