You may need to pay:

Stamp Duty Land Tax

You pay SDLT if the property is worth £250,000 or more.

You still have to pay if you swap something of economic value for a property, for example shares or another property.

If you’re buying your first home

You do not have to pay SDLT if the property is £425,000 or less.

Capital Gains Tax

You do not pay Capital Gains Tax when you sell (or ‘dispose of’) your home if all of the following apply:

  • you’ve lived in it as your main home for all the time you’ve owned it
  • you have not let part of it out or used part of it for business only
  • the grounds, including the buildings, are smaller than 5,000 square metres (just over an acre)

This is because you automatically get a tax relief called Private Residence Relief. You do not need to do anything.

If you do not meet all these criteria you may have to pay some Capital Gains Tax.