Banned and restricted goods
- controlled drugs
- offensive weapons, for example flick knives
- self-defence sprays, for example pepper spray and CS gas
- endangered animal and plant species
- rough diamonds
- indecent and obscene materials, such as books, magazines, films and DVDs
- personal imports of meat and dairy products from most non-EU countries
Some goods are restricted - like firearms, explosives and ammunition. You need a special licence to bring them in to the UK.
Some food and plant products are also restricted if they:
- are not free from pests and diseases
- are not for your own use
- were not grown in the EU
If you bring goods suspected of infringing intellectual property rights (for example ‘pirate’ copies of movies or music) they may be seized and you could be prosecuted.