Equipment and premises

You need to make sure that your equipment and premises are suitable for the vehicle classes you plan to test.


You need to have a:

  • computer, laptop or tablet with internet connection
  • printer

These need to met the minimum IT specification.

Approved testing equipment

Different classes of vehicle need different specialist test equipment.

You must make sure you have at least the minimum level for each vehicle class you’re approved to test.

All equipment must be kept in good working order and calibrated properly.

You’ll need to use approved equipment for:

  • brake pedal application devices
  • decelerometers
  • diesel smoke meters
  • exhaust gas analysers (catalyst vehicles)
  • exhaust gas analysers (non-catalyst vehicles)
  • headlamp aim testers
  • plate brake testers
  • roller brake testers
  • tow bar socket testers
  • tyre tread depth gauges
  • wheel play detectors

There are 3 categories of decelerometers:

  • category A are approved for all classes of vehicle
  • category B are approved for class 3, 4, 5 and 7 vehicles
  • category C are approved for class 1 and 2 vehicles

You can download the lists of approved equipment.


You need to make sure your premises are suitable and testing bay sizes are correct for the vehicle classes you’ll be testing. You can find the minimum standards in the MOT testing guide.

Approval in principle

Your premises will be given an approval in principle when you apply for authorised examiner (AE) status. This will help you avoid committing to expensive work or alterations before your premises are approved.

If you’ve already got AE status and want to make changes to the test facilities, write to the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) before you make any changes. Include supporting drawings, to show that the changes will not affect the testing station’s approval.

Chadderton GVTS
Broadway Business Park