Fill in form V85 and apply in person at a Post Office that issues tax discs to get an HGV vehicle licence (tax disc).

You need an HGV tax disc for lorries with a maximum weight of more than 3.5 tonnes when loaded.

You’ll need to provide a V5C vehicle registration certificate (log book). You can apply for a replacement log book if you don’t have one.

Tax rates for HGVs

The amount of tax you need to pay depends on your vehicle’s tax band, whether it has road friendly suspension and whether or not you have a Reduced Pollution Certificate.

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.