Apply for a Gender Recognition Certificate

What happens next

Your application will be assessed by the Gender Recognition Panel - you’ll be contacted if they need more proof or information.

Contact the administrative team at the Gender Recognition Panel to find out about your application’s progress.

Gender Recognition Panel
Telephone: +44 (0) 300 1234 503
Find out about call charges

If you get a full certificate

You’ll be sent information on:

  • how to get a new birth certificate, marriage certificate or civil partnership where appropriate
  • who you must tell about your gender change

Your pension and benefits may be affected.

If you’re given an interim certificate

You’ll be sent information on:

  • how to annul or dissolve your marriage or civil partnership
  • how long you have to convert your civil partnership to a marriage, if applicable

If your application is turned down

You’ll be told why your application was rejected.

You may be able to appeal the decision if you think it’s wrong on a point of law.

Where you apply depends on whether you live in:

You’ll be told in your decision letter how to appeal or apply again.