Apply for a Gender Recognition Certificate

Documents you must provide

You must send certain documents when you apply, depending on which application route you use and whether you’ve ever been married or in a civil partnership.

You might need to send original documents - you’ll get them back after the Gender Recognition Panel has looked at your application. You will not get any statutory declarations back.

For all application routes, you must download and fill in the relevant statutory declaration for:

If you’ve ever been married or in a civil partnership

For all application routes you must provide the following (if relevant):

  • an original or certified copy of your marriage or civil partnership certificate
  • a copy of the decree ending your marriage or proof that any previous civil partnership has been dissolved
  • a copy of your spouse’s death certificate

If you want to stay married, your spouse must fill in a statutory declaration for a spouse.

Standard or alternative route

For all application routes you must send:

  • an original or certified copy of your birth certificate
  • copies of any official documents that show your birth name has changed to your current name
  • proof you’ve lived in your acquired gender for the required time (2 years for standard route, 6 years for alternative route)
  • any medical reports

Proof you’ve lived in your acquired gender

This proof must cover the required time that you’ve lived in your acquired gender. It should include original copies of your:

  • passport
  • driving licence
  • payslips or benefit documents
  • utility bills or other documents of an official nature

All documents should be in your acquired name and gender. The earliest document must be dated before the beginning of the required time.

Medical reports

For all application routes you must send a report that includes details of any treatment you’ve had to change your sexual characteristics, for example hormone treatment or surgery.

The report must be an original copy from a qualified medical professional, for example a:

  • doctor registered with the General Medical Council (GMC)
  • psychologist registered with the Health and Care Professions Council

Read the list of gender dysphoria specialists to find out who can write this report for you. You can send a report from a registered medical professional not on this list if they can prove they work in gender dysphoria.

If you’re applying using the standard route, you also must get your GP or surgeon to complete a second report and include it with your application.

At least one of the reports has to include details of your diagnosis of gender dysphoria.

Overseas route

If you’re applying using the overseas route, you must prove that your gender has been legally accepted in an ‘approved country’. Send original or certified copies of the following (if you have them):

  • your new birth certificate and old birth certificate
  • an amended birth certificate that shows the change of gender
  • a court order authorising your change of gender
  • a document that’s equivalent to a Gender Recognition Certificate
  • an entry in a legal register that proves your acquired gender has been recognised