Apply for a forced marriage protection order

Skip to contents of guide


You can apply for a forced marriage protection order if one of the following applies:

  • you or someone else is being threatened with a forced marriage
  • you’re in a forced marriage

The order will be designed to protect you according to your individual circumstances, for example to stop someone taking you out of the UK.

Call 999 if you’re in immediate danger.

Get a forced marriage protection order

You’ll need to:

It’s free.

Read the guidance on getting a forced marriage protection order.

Emergency orders

You can get an emergency order (an ‘ex-parte’ or ‘without notice’ order) to protect you immediately without the person you’re making the order against being involved in getting the order.

Download and fill in form FL401A.

Write a witness statement. Include all of the following:

  • what happened
  • that you want the forced marriage protection order to be made
  • why the court should deal with the application without notifying the person you’re making the order against

Write the following words at the bottom of your witness statement - this is known as a statement of truth:

“I believe that the facts stated in this witness statement are true.”

Sign and date the statement of truth.

Take your form and statement to a family court.

Get a decision

The court will consider your case, including any risk of significant harm if the order is not made immediately.

You’ll get a decision about the order when you take your form and statement to the court.

Get help

You can get legal aid.

You can contact the Forced Marriage Unit for help - even if you do not want to apply for an order.

Forced Marriage Unit
Telephone: 020 7008 0151
From overseas: +44 (0)20 7008 0151
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Out of hours: 020 7008 5000
Find out about call charges