Apply for a divorce

You can use this service to apply for a divorce in England and Wales.

You can only use this service to apply for a divorce for yourself.

You must apply by post if:

  • you’re a solicitor
  • you want to end a civil partnership
  • you want to apply in Welsh

It costs £550 to apply online or by post.

The process is different in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Apply for a divorce

Return to an existing application

Sign in to continue your application.

Before you apply

To apply for a divorce you’ll need:

  • your husband or wife’s full name and address
  • your original marriage certificate or a certified copy (and a certified translation if it’s not in English)
  • proof of your name change if you changed it since you got married - for example your marriage certificate or a deed poll

Help applying online

Digital Divorce Contact Centre
Telephone: 0300 303 0642
Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5pm
Find out about call charges

Apply by post

You can apply for a divorce by post by downloading and filling in a divorce application form D8 (‘divorce petition’).