An individual or business that provides workers for agricultural work is called a ‘gangmaster’.

Gangmasters must be licensed if they provide workers for:

  • agriculture
  • horticulture
  • dairy farming
  • food and drink processing or packaging
  • forestry
  • gathering shellfish (anybody who uses supplied workers to gather shellfish also needs to be licensed)

There are some jobs in these industries that don’t need a gangmaster licence.

You can check if a gangmaster is licensed.