2. Claiming money owed to you

The insolvency practitioner will send you claim forms. If this doesn’t happen, you should write to them. If you’re not sure who they are, you can contact Companies House to find out:

Companies House
Telephone: 0303 1234 500
Textphone: 029 2038 1245 

Find out about call charges

What you can get

The money comes from the government’s National Insurance Fund. It’s not guaranteed that you’ll get everything your employer owes to you but you can claim for:

  • redundancy
  • wages - up to 8 weeks’ worth
  • holiday pay - up to 6 weeks’ worth
  • statutory notice pay - 1 week after 1 month’s service, going up to 1 week per year of service (up to a maximum of 12 weeks)
  • unpaid pension contributions (your pensions administrator does this for you)
  • basic award for unfair dismissal

Your statutory notice period (the minimum legal notice period your employer has to give you) is:

  • a week’s notice if you’ve been employed for between a month and 2 years
  • 2 weeks’ notice plus an extra week for each year you’ve worked if you’ve been employed for 2 years (this goes up to a maximum of 12 weeks)

You can claim for statutory notice pay if:

  • you’ve worked your statutory notice period but not been paid by your employer
  • you were dismissed without notice
  • you don’t work your full notice

You can only claim up to £464 a week for your wages.

If you’re sick or becoming a parent

HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) will pay you:

  • Statutory Sick Pay
  • Statutory Maternity Pay
  • Statutory Paternity Pay
  • Statutory Adoption Pay

If your employer’s insolvent and you’re having trouble getting these payments, call HMRC on 0191 225 5221 for help. Find out about call charges.


You can claim Statutory Redundancy Pay if you’re made redundant and if:

  • you’ve been continuously employed for 2 or more years
  • you apply in writing to your employer or an Employment Tribunal within 6 months of your job ending

You claim by filling out form RP1, which you can get by calling 0845 015 0010 and quoting URN 10/708. Find out about call charges.

The Insolvency Service has a redundancy payments factsheet to help you.

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.