The UK Science and Innovation Network Japan (SIN Japan) builds and promotes strategic collaboration between Japan and the UK on key science and innovation themes.
The Science and Innovation Network Japan is the UK Government’s official representation in Japan on science and innovation. The team is part of the UK’s global Science and Innovation Network of 126 officers based in 66 locations around the world. For a brief summary of the science and innovation environment in Japan, please see our UK Science & Innovation Network Japan Country Snapshot.
Our team has local knowledge and a well-developed network of contacts in a wide range of sectors. We promote and facilitate collaboration in research and innovation by:
- Identifying opportunities for large-scale science and innovation collaboration between the UK and Japan, removing barriers, and facilitating government-to-government discussions.
- Reporting and analysis of Japanese science and innovation activities, including policy and funding opportunities to inform UK policy and programmes.
- Organising seminars, missions and workshops for researchers and funders on specific priority topics, to broaden existing networks and create new ones.
- Supporting ministerial and other high-level meetings and visits. We also work closely with our colleagues in DIT to support development of science, innovation and technology-related trade and investment opportunities between Japan and the UK.
SIN Japan focuses on the following priority sectors in FY2022:
- Life Sciences
- Synthetic and engineering biology
- Environmental Sciences
- Green technologies
- Quantum technologies
- Materials Science
- Foundational Research
- SIN Twitter: @UKSINet
- Embassy Twitter: @UKinJapan
- Our Ambassador on Twitter: @JuliaLongbottom
- Our Embassy on Facebook
Science and Innovation Section, British Embassy Tokyo
Address: 1 Ichibancho, Chiyoda, Tokyo 102-8381, Japan