Living in Switzerland

Guidance on your rights after the UK’s exit from the EU, accessing healthcare, getting a document legalised, English-speaking lawyers, how to vote abroad.

  1. Apply for a UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC)

    Applying for your free Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) or European Health Insurance Card (EHIC): who can apply and where you can use them.

  2. Get your document legalised

    Use the online service to get a UK document legalised.

  3. Healthcare for UK nationals living in Switzerland

    How to get state healthcare if you live, work or study in Switzerland.

  4. Living in Europe: citizens' rights if you moved before 1 January 2021

    Information for UK nationals living in the EU, EEA EFTA countries and Switzerland since before 1 January 2021, including guidance on residency and healthcare.

  5. Living in Switzerland

    Information for British citizens moving to or living in Switzerland, including guidance on residency, passports and driving.

  6. Support for British nationals abroad: a guide

    This guide highlights some of the main ways you can help yourself stay safe abroad and what help the FCDO can provide.

  7. Switzerland and Liechtenstein: doctors

    List of English-speaking medical facilities in Switzerland and Liechtenstein.

  8. Switzerland and Liechtenstein: lawyers and notary publics

    List of English-speaking lawyers and notary publics for British nationals in Switzerland and Liechtenstein.

  9. Switzerland travel advice

    Latest travel advice for Switzerland including how to stay safe during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and information on returning to the UK.

  10. Switzerland: translators

    List of translators and interpreters for British nationals in Switzerland.

  11. UK benefits if you’re going or living abroad

    Find out what benefits you might be able to receive while you’re abroad and how to export them from the UK or claim them while abroad

  12. Voting if you move or live abroad

    How to vote if you move or live abroad, including eligibility and registration