How to get gross payment status
You can apply for gross payment status when you register for CIS.
This means contractors will pay you in full, without deductions. You’ll pay all your tax and National Insurance at the end of the tax year.
If you’re already registered for CIS, you can apply for gross payment status by calling the CIS helpline or applying online.
Apply for gross payment status online
Sign in to Government Gateway - you’ll need the Government Gateway user ID and password you used when you registered for CIS. If you do not have a user ID, you can create one when you register for CIS.
From ‘Your tax account’, go to ‘Other services’.
Choose ‘Construction Industry Scheme – Subcontractors’.
You must show HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) that your business passes some tests. You’ll need to show that:
- you’ve paid your tax and National Insurance on time in the past
- your business does construction work (or provides labour for it) in the UK
- your business is run through a bank account
HMRC will look at your turnover for the last 12 months. Ignoring VAT and the cost of materials, your turnover must be at least:
- £30,000 if you’re a sole trader
- £30,000 for each partner in a partnership, or at least £100,000 for the whole partnership
- £30,000 for each director of a company, or at least £100,000 for the whole company
If your company’s controlled by 5 people or fewer, you must have an annual turnover of £30,000 for each of them.
Paying tax when you have gross payment status
You must declare your payments as income at the end of the tax year in: