You can't apply for this licence online. Contact your local council.
You need a certificate of competence to operate and charge for a public weighbridge in Northern Ireland.
How to apply
Get an application form from the Northern Ireland Trading Standards Service by calling Consumerline.
Telephone: 0300 123 6262
Find out about call charges
Your must include your name, the type of weighbridge to be used and its address. Arrangements will be then made for you to sit a test.
If you hold a public weighbridge certificate of competence then you must:
- weigh on demand (unless you have reasonable cause not to)
- weigh fairly
- provide a written statement of the weight to the customer
- record the name and address of the customer
- record the date and time of weighings
- record identifying details for weighed vehicles and the type of load
- keep records of weighings for 2 years
You must not carry out double weighing for trade purposes, also known as axle weighing.
Fines and penalties
You may be fined up to £5,000, imprisoned for 6 months, or both if you fail to follow with the requirements.