War Widow(er) Pension

Further information

Changes in your circumstances

You’ll continue to get your pension if you marry, form a civil partnership or start living with a partner on or after 1 April 2015.

If this happened before 1 April 2015, you’ll still get a pension if both:

  • your late spouse or civil partner left service before 31 March 1973
  • your new relationship started on or after 6 April 2005

Otherwise, your pension would have been stopped.

If your pension stopped

You can claim your pension again if:

  • you become widowed again
  • you divorce or separate
  • your civil partner dies
  • your civil partnership ends
  • you stop living with the person as their partner

Make sure you tell Veterans UK of any changes in your circumstances so you get the right amount of pension.

Funeral expenses

Veterans UK may be able to pay a grant of up to £2,200 towards a veteran’s funeral if any of the following apply:

  • death was due to service before 6 April 2005
  • War Pensions Constant Attendance Allowance was being paid or would have been paid if the war pensioner had not been in hospital when they died
  • Unemployability Supplement was being paid at the time of death and the War Disablement Pension was assessed at 80% or more

The payment can be made to the veteran’s widow or widower, next of kin or person paying for the funeral.

You must make a claim within 3 months of the funeral.

How to apply

Download the claim form. Send the completed form to:

Veterans UK
Thornton Cleveleys