You can tax your vehicle up to 2 months before it expires if you’re going to be away from home (eg on holiday) when your current tax runs out.
Apply by post before you go
You need to send:
- your V5C registration certificate (log book)
- a letter explaining why you’re applying in advance
- a completed application for vehicle tax (V10) or application to tax a heavy goods vehicle (V85)
- an MOT or goods vehicle testing (GVT) certificate (if you need one) - it must be valid when the new tax starts
- a cheque, postal order or banker’s draft to pay for your vehicle tax - made payable to ‘DVLA Swansea’
Send your documents and payment to:
If you don’t want to apply in advance
You can tax your vehicle online while you’re away from home. You’ll need the following:
- V5C vehicle registration certificate (log book) number
- vehicle registration number
You can only do this from the 5th of the month.
You can tax online from 5 March if your vehicle tax runs out on 31 March.