Extend your visa
You can apply to extend your Tier 5 (Temporary Worker - International Agreement) visa.
You should apply before your current visa expires.
You must be in the UK to extend your visa.
You must continue to meet the eligibility rules.
How long you can stay
You can apply to extend your visa for up to 2 years at a time up to a total maximum stay of 6 years unless:
- you are a private servant in a diplomatic household and applied for your visa on or after 5 April 2012 - your total maximum stay can only be 5 years or until the last date of your employer’s posting, whichever is shorter
- you are a contractual service supplier or independent professional - you can only stay in the UK for a maximum of 6 months in any 12 month period
|Who you’re applying for||Extend your visa|
|If you’re a citizen of Turkey or Macedonia||£189|
|All dependants||£244 each|
How to extend your visa
Read the full Tier 5 guidance before you apply.
You can apply online.
You can add dependants to your online application - including children who have turned 18 during your stay.
You must also pay £19.20 to have your biometric information (fingerprints and a photo) taken. You’ll be told how to do this after you’ve applied.
You’ll get a biometric residence permit if your application to extend your visa is successful.
How long it takes
A decision will be made within 8 weeks for postal and online applications.
You’ll be contacted if your application is complex and will take longer, for example:
- if your supporting documents need to be verified
- if you need to attend an interview
- because of your personal circumstances, for example you have a criminal conviction
Once you’ve applied you can stay in the UK until you’ve been given a decision, as long as you applied before your last visa expired.