How to check the record of a teacher you employ or are considering employing.
Employer access online is a free service for schools, local authorities and teacher supply agencies in England. You can check the record of any teacher that you employ or are considering employing.
Use employer access online
Register your organisation details. Once registered you can log on to employer access online.
Qualified teachers employed in a maintained school in England must, by law, have completed an induction period after their initial training.
You can check whether a teacher you employ or are considering employing has:
- qualified teacher status (QTS)
- completed their induction
- a mandatory qualification for teachers of hearing impaired or visually impaired pupils
- an active teaching restriction
- been the subject of a decision by the Secretary of State not to impose a prohibition order for unacceptable professional conduct, conduct that may bring the teaching profession into disrepute or conviction of a relevant offence
- been prohibited from teaching
- a suspension or conditional order imposed by the General Teaching Council for England that is still current
- failed their induction or probation period
Making these checks is an important public safeguard. You should also check with the Disclosure and Barring Service for:
- criminal records
- identity checks
- barred teachers