Sure Start Maternity Grant
Usually, to qualify for a Sure Start Maternity Grant there must be no other children in your family and you or your partner must get one of these benefits:
- Income Support
- income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit
- Working Tax Credit that includes a disability or severe disability element
- Universal Credit
If you already have children you may still be able to get a grant if you’re expecting a multiple birth (such as twins or triplets).
You must claim by the deadline.
If you’re not giving birth
You may also be able to get a grant if you’re adopting or becoming a surrogate parent.
The baby must be less than 1 year old on the date you claim. You must be receiving one of the benefits above and one of the following must also apply:
- you’ve become responsible for the baby and you’re not the mother
- the baby has been placed with you for adoption
- you’ve got permission to adopt a baby from abroad
- you’ve got a parental order for a surrogate birth
- you’ve been appointed as guardian
- you’ve an adoption or a residence order