Apply for this licence

Start now on the Street Works Qualifications Register website


You must have the required qualifications if you are a street works operative and your presence is required on site at all times for any street works that involve:

  • breaking up the street, any sewer or drain
  • tunnelling under the street, any sewer or drain
  • boring under the street
  • opening the street

You will be considered to have the relevant qualification if you hold a certificate of competence from an approved body. This certificate shows that you have achieved the relevant units of competence for the work being carried out and that that certificate is registered in an approved register.

The approved bodies for issuing certificates of competence are:

To obtain a certificate of competence, you must hold certification for the following areas:

  • location and avoidance of underground apparatus
  • monitoring signing, lighting and guarding
  • excavating in the highway
  • reinstating and compaction of various types of road construction materials

As well as the certificate of competence, you must also show that you have practical competence in the following areas:

  • excavation in the highway
  • excavation, backfilling and reinstatement of construction layers with a cold-lay bituminous surface
  • reinstatement of construction layers in hot-lay and cold-lay bituminous materials
  • reinstatement of concrete slabs
  • reinstatement of modular surfaces and concrete footways

Alternatively, you can have a qualification from another member state of the European Community which gives an equivalent guarantee of skill and competence.

You must also register your Certificate of Competence with the Street Works Qualification Register (SWQR). The SQWR will then provide a plastic photo identification card to show you have the requisite qualifications.

A registration is valid for five years. In Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland you can reregister by contacting the registration body within three months of the expiry of the previous registration. To reregister in England, you must undertake a reassessment of your held qualifications.