3. How to serve a statutory demand

You must make sure the person or company who owes money know that they have the statutory demand.

You should either:

  • deliver (‘serve’) it in person (to an individual, a company director, an employee )
  • get a ‘process server’ to serve it for you (a solicitor can arrange this)

You can send it by registered post or put it through a letterbox if it can’t be delivered in person.

If your demand is ignored

You must fill in the relevant form confirming that you ‘served’ the demand properly.

Download and fill in:

  • form 6.11 if you or someone else served the demand in person.
  • form 6.12 if it was served in another way (eg by post)

The person who served the statutory demand must sign the form.