1. Overview

You can appeal to the special educational needs and disability tribunal if you disagree with the council’s decisions about your child’s special educational needs.

For example, the council may not agree that your child needs extra support in the classroom to help them with learning difficulties.

You can also appeal to the tribunal if the school or council has discriminated against your disabled child.

Special educational needs appeals

You can appeal for a number of reasons, eg if the council refuses to:

  • assess your child’s special educational needs
  • make a statement of their needs
  • reassess their needs

You usually have to appeal to the tribunal within 2 months of getting the council’s decision letter.

Help and advice

You may want to get legal advice before you appeal.

You could be entitled to legal aid to pay for a meeting with a solicitor.

You can also get help and advice from your local Parent Partnership Service.

Contact the National Parent Partnership Network for details of your nearest service.

National Parent Partnership Network
Telephone: 020 7843 6958
Find out about call charges

You live in Wales

If you live in Wales, you can appeal to the Special Educational Needs Tribunal for Wales.

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.