Get an advance on your first benefit payment

Skip to contents of guide


You may be able to get an advance on your first benefit payment if you’re in urgent financial need.

You usually pay it back through your benefits. You do not have to pay interest.

This page is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).

You can ask for an advance if you’ve recently applied for:

  • Universal Credit
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • State Pension

You’ll be told when you’ll be paid and how much. You’ll usually be paid on the same day or the next working day. It’ll be paid into your bank or Post Office account.