Dangerous goods safety adviser

You must have a dangerous goods safety adviser (DGSA) if you transport dangerous goods unless:

  • you only do it occasionally, for example breakdown recovery vehicles
  • you’re only receiving the dangerous goods (you’re the ‘consignee’)
  • they’re in ‘limited quantities
  • you’re moving them a very short distance by road, for example between buildings on an industrial estate
  • you’re using private vehicles

Read guidance on DGSA training.

See the ‘European agreement concerning the international carriage of dangerous goods by road (ADR)’ for more information on DGSAs.

You should employ a DGSA if you’re transporting goods internationally.

Appointing a dangerous goods safety adviser

You can either get a member of staff trained as a dangerous goods safety adviser or use a company that specialises in providing dangerous goods safety advice.

Contact the Department for Transport by email for advice on appointing a DGSA.

Department for Transport