Applying for leave and pay
To get Shared Parental Leave (SPL) or Shared Parental Pay (ShPP) you must:
- follow the rules for starting SPL and ShPP
- give your employer at least 8 weeks’ written notice of your leave dates
You can do both at the same time using forms created by Acas.
You can change your mind later about how much SPL or ShPP you plan to take and when you want to take it. You must give notice of any changes at least 8 weeks before the start of any leave.
You might not get SPL or ShPP if you do not include all the required information.
Your partner must apply to their own employer if they also want SPL or ShPP.
Giving more information
Your employer can ask you for more information within 14 days of you applying for SPL or ShPP. They can ask for:
- a copy of the birth certificate
- a declaration of the place and date of birth (if the birth has not been registered yet)
- the name and address of your partner’s employer or a declaration that your partner has no employer
If you’re adopting, your employer can ask for the:
- name and address of the adoption agency
- date you were matched with the child
- date the child will be start to live with you
- name and address of your partner’s employer or a declaration that your partner has no employer
You must give this information within 14 days of being asked for it.