Find details of patents to:
- check if a similar patent to your invention already exists
- track the progress of a published patent application
- see if patents are available to license
You can get help:
- from a local Patent Library - qualified staff can help you search cheaply
- by hiring a patent attorney or advisor
Read the guide to patenting your invention if you haven’t applied before.
Search UK patents
Search for published patent applications and registered patents using the Intellectual Property Office’s:
The patent information and document service will be unavailable from 7am on Saturday 14 January to 9am on Monday 16 January.
You can also search for supplementary protection certificates by their number.
There are separate lists for:
- published Green Channel patent applications
- patents with a licence of right that you can license to use
- patents not in force, eg because they’ve expired or have been withdrawn
New applications and amended patents
The patents journal contains details of new UK patent applications and changes to the register.
Search patents worldwide
Use Espacenet to check for published patent applications and registered patents.
The database includes both worldwide UK patents and details about:
- filed documents
- countries where the patent applies