Respond to a court claim for money

1. How to respond

You’ll be sent a form by a county court if someone claims you owe them money. You must respond to it within 14 days.

You can respond by:

You might have to pay more or get a county court judgment (CCJ) if you don’t respond in time.

If you need more time to respond

You can ask for another 14 days to respond if you’re defending the claim or paying only what you think you owe.

Download and fill in the acknowledgement of service form in the response pack.

Send it to the court address on the claim form.

The rules are different in Scotland.