Get funding for college accommodation

Skip to contents of guide

Residential Support Scheme

You may be able to get help with the cost of accommodation from the Residential Support Scheme (RSS).


You must:

  • be at least 16 and under 19 on 31 August 2021
  • meet the residency requirements (your college will check this)
  • not be on housing benefit
  • have a household income of less than £30,993
  • be studying your first level 2 or level 3 qualification (for example 2 or more A levels, a diploma or a national vocational qualification)

You may be eligible if you’re 19 and either:

Your course must:

  • not be at a specialist residential centre (your college can confirm this)
  • be full-time at a college in England
  • be ‘16 to 19 funded’ (your college can confirm this)

Your course must also be more than either 15 miles or a 2 hour round trip from your home, and not available any closer than that.

What you’ll get

The table shows the maximum you can get each year. The actual amount you can get depends on your accommodation costs.

Gross household income Studying outside London Studying in London
Up to £21,000 Up to £3,458 Up to £4,079
£21,001 to £25,704 Up to £2,305 Up to £2,685
£25,705 to £30,993 Up to £1,152 Up to £1,355
£30,994 or more No award No award

You can get payments for a maximum of 3 years.

How to claim

Contact the student support officer at your college for an application form and help with applying.