You can apply to come to the UK as a representative of an overseas business if you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland and you’re either:
- the sole representative of an overseas company planning to set up a UK branch or a wholly owned subsidiary for an overseas parent company
- an employee of an overseas newspaper, news agency or broadcasting organisation posted on a long-term assignment to the UK
You must also meet the other eligibility requirements.
How long it will take
The earliest you can apply is 3 months before you travel.
Example You can apply from 16 March if you plan to travel on 15 June.
You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.
Check the guide processing times to find out how long getting a visa might take in your country.
A Representative of an Overseas Business visa costs £546.
An employee of an overseas newspaper, news agency or broadcasting organisation costs £546.
How long you can stay
You can come to the UK for an initial period of 3 years.
You may be able to extend your visa for another 2 years.
After you’ve been in the UK for 5 years, you can apply for permission to settle permanently in the UK.
What you can and can’t do
- work for your employer, full time
- bring your family (‘dependants’) with you to the UK
- extend your visa multiple times
- apply to settle in the UK after you’ve been here for 5 years
- stay in the UK if your company’s circumstances change and you’ve been here for more than 2 years (eg if they appoint a superior in the UK)
- work for yourself or any other business
- stay in the UK if the sole representative arrangement is ended by your employer
- switch to this visa from any other visa category
- get public funds