You must report a lost, stolen or damaged biometric residence permit (BRP) immediately. You must then apply for a replacement.

Report the loss, theft or damage

Contact the police to report the loss, theft or damage and get a police case reference number.

You must then email the Home Office immediately using the relevant email address.

Report a lost or stolen BRP to:

Report a damaged BRP to:

You should include:

  • your full name, date of birth and nationality
  • your contact details
  • your passport number
  • your BRP reference number
  • your police case reference number
  • when, where and how the loss or theft occurred
  • what the damage is (if damaged)

You can also send this information by post to:

Returns Unit
PO Box 163
BS20 1AB

You must then apply for a replacement BRP.

Replace your BRP if you’re in the UK

You must apply for a replacement BRP within 3 months if it was lost, stolen or damaged while you were in the UK, or within 1 month if you’re returning to the UK on a ‘replacement BRP visa’. A replacement BRP costs £40 if you apply from inside the UK.

You may be fined up to £1,000 and have your permission to stay removed if you don’t apply for a replacement in time.

You’ll need to read the guidance on applying for a replacement BRP and apply using form BRP(RC).

You may also have to apply for a replacement BRP if your personal details have changed, eg your name.

Replace your BRP if you’re outside the UK

You can’t apply for a new BRP until you’re back in the UK. Instead, you must apply for a ‘replacement BRP visa’ which you can use once to re-enter the UK. A replacement BRP visa costs £72.

You must apply online for a replacement BRP visa in most countries.

Cuba and North Korea

You can’t apply online if you’re applying from one of these countries.

Download the application form.

Read the instructions for:

You must apply for a replacement BRP within 1 month of your return to the UK.