Making repairs

You must keep your property in good condition, and any gas or electrical systems must meet specified safety standards.

Because of coronavirus (COVID-19), you should only enter your property for urgent issues (for example, for safety issues or because your tenants do not have hot water, heating or toilet facilities). This does not affect your legal responsibilities as a landlord. Read the coronavirus and renting guidance for tenants and landlords.

When you can enter the property

You have a legal right to enter your property to inspect it or carry out repairs. You must give your tenants at least 24 hours’ notice, although immediate access may be possible in emergencies. Your tenants have the right to stay in the property during the repairs.

You’re normally responsible for repairs to:

  • the structure of your property
  • basins, sinks, baths and other sanitary fittings
  • heating and hot water systems
  • anything you damage through attempting repairs

If your property is seriously damaged by a fire, flood or other similar incident, you do not have to rebuild or renovate it. However, if you do, you cannot charge your tenants for any repairs made.

Common areas

If you own a block of flats, you’re usually be responsible for repairing common areas, like staircases. Councils can ask landlords to fix problems in common areas, or to repair a tenant’s flat that’s been damaged by another tenant.

What happens if repairs are not done properly

If you refuse to carry out repairs, tenants can:

  • start a claim in the small claims court for repairs under £5,000
  • in some circumstances, carry out the repairs themselves and deduct the cost from their rent

If you do not make repairs to remove hazards, your tenants can ask the council to inspect the property under the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) and to take any action that is necessary.

If the council finds serious hazards, it must take enforcement action to make sure the hazard is removed.

If the property is temporarily unfit to live in

You can ask tenants to move out during major repairs. Before this happens, you should agree in writing:

  • how long the works will last
  • the tenants’ right to return
  • details of any alternative accommodation

You cannot repossess a property to do repairs. However, if you’re planning substantial works, or want to redevelop the property, you can apply to the courts for an order for your tenants to leave. The courts are more likely to grant this if you provide alternative accommodation.

Repairs and charging rent

If the repairs are very disruptive, your tenants may be able to claim a reduction on their rent known as a ‘rent abatement’. This will depend on how much of the property is unusable.

You may have the right to increase the rent after carrying out repairs and improvements, depending on the tenancy agreement.