Renting out your property (England and Wales)

Changing a regulated tenancy (fair rent)

There are special rules for changing rents and terms for regulated tenancies (sometimes called ‘fair rents’) which usually started before 15 January 1989.

When you can increase rent

You can only increase the rent up to the maximum set by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) - check the register of rents to find out what it is.

You can ask VOA to review the rent every 2 years, or earlier if something has affected the value, so that it remains fair. Your rent might increase or decrease.

Download and fill in a fair rent form to get your rent reviewed. Send the completed form to the VOA Network Support Office.

VOA Network Support Office
Wycliffe House
Green Lane

VOA Network Support Office
Fax: 0300 050 1506

If the fair rent increases

You must serve a notice of increase of rent on your tenant. You can charge the new rent from the date it’s registered.

Fill in a ‘notice of increase’ form (available from legal stationers) and send it to your tenant.

You can backdate your notice of rent increase for up to 4 weeks.

Cancel a registered rent

Download and fill in an application form to cancel a registered rent and send it to the address on the form, for example if the tenancy stops being regulated, or you and the tenant agree to cancel it.

It may take up to 6 weeks to cancel a registered rent.