You can't apply for this licence online. Contact your local council.


You must register with the Department of Justice (DOJ) to sell fireworks in Northern Ireland.

How to apply

Call or email the DOJ Firearms and Explosives Branch for an application form.

DOJ Firearms and Explosives Branch
02890 520 057
Find out about call charges


Your premises will be registered according to the type and amount of fireworks kept.

You usually need planning permission to store fireworks on your premises.

You must display your certificate of registration in a prominent position by the point of sale.

You can only sell fireworks to people who have a valid fireworks licence for purchase, possession and use issued by DOJ.

You must keep a permanent record of all Category 2, 3, or 4 fireworks sold including:

  • name and address of the customer
  • date of each sale and the quantity and type of fireworks sold
  • the customer’s firework licence number

These records must be kept for at least 2 years and made available for inspection if requested.

Read more about firework categories.

Fines and penalties

You may be fined up to £5,000 and/or imprisoned if you sell fireworks without permission from DOJ or breach conditions.