3. How to apply

  1. Contact your local council to find out about Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) training courses and becoming a childcare provider in your area.

  2. Apply for a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check through the Ofsted portal.

  3. Fill in and submit a health declaration booklet if you’re applying as a childminder on the Early Years Register or working directly with children.

  4. Apply online - you’ll need a Government Gateway account to log in. If you’re applying to both registers, apply using the Early Years application form.

Apply to work on non-domestic premises

If you’re a childminder or provide childcare on domestic premises, you can apply to work on non-domestic premises for up to half of your time.

Get a non-domestic premises approved

You must get approval for each non-domestic premises you want to provide childcare on. You can apply for approval at any time.


You must pay a fee to be registered.

It’s free to join the Childcare Register if you’re already on or applying to the Early Years Register.

Type of childcare Early Years Register Childcare Register (compulsory or voluntary) Both registers
Childminder £35 £103 £35
Home childcarer - £103 (voluntary only) -
Childcare on domestic or non-domestic premises £220 £114 £220

If you only provide childcare on non-domestic premises, you’ll have to pay the fee for each premises you provide childcare on.

Get help and advice

Contact your local council if you have any questions about becoming a childcare provider.

Contact Ofsted if you have any questions about the application process.

Telephone: 0300 123 1231
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Find out about call charges