If you’re a worker and you’ve tried solving a problem or concern informally by talking to your manager but you’re not satisfied, you can make a formal grievance complaint in writing.

Your employer should have a written grievance procedure that tells you what to do and what happens at each stage of the process. After raising the grievance you’ll have a meeting to discuss the issue.

You can appeal if you do not agree with your employer’s decision.

You can also use mediation to resolve a problem. This can take place at any time during the dispute.

For more information, see Acas’s step-by-step guide to formal grievance procedures.

Following the Acas code of practice

You and your employer should follow the Acas code of practice on disciplinary and grievance procedures.

Otherwise, if you take your claim to an employment tribunal, any compensation you might get could be adjusted by up to 25%.