On 17 July 2006 a shunter employed by Freightliner Heavy Haul Ltd was crushed between a locomotive and a wagon during a shunting move at Dagenham Dock yard. There were no immediate witnesses.
The shunter sustained fatal injuries when he fell between the buffers of the locomotive and the wagon. He had been standing or walking close to the train alongside a siding, and as the train passed he collapsed or tripped, and so fell into the gap between the buffers. If the shunter tripped, a causal factor was the damaged condition of the trackside walkway, which presented a hazard. There were also seven contributory factors.
RAIB has made seven recommendations as a result of the report, aimed at:
- the management of identified risks
- ensuring compliance with the rule book
- methods of working
- the establishment of safe walking routes
Response to recommendations:
- RAIB will periodically update the status of recommendations as reported to us by the relevant safety authority or public body.
- RAIB may add comment, particularly if we have concerns regarding these responses.