Use this service to request a social visit to a prisoner in England or Wales. There’s a different way to book a prison visit in Northern Ireland or a prison visit in Scotland.
To use this service you need the:
- prisoner number
- prisoner’s date of birth
- dates of birth for all visitors coming with you
If you do not have the prisoner’s location or prisoner number use the Prisoner Location Service.
You can choose up to 3 dates and times you prefer. The prison will email you to confirm when you can visit.
The prisoner must add you to their visitor list before you can request a visit. This can take up to 2 weeks.
Request a prison visit
Coronavirus (COVID-19) and visiting a prison
You cannot visit someone in prison in England and Wales if you’ve either:
It’s recommended you take a COVID-19 test before your visit.
You might not be able to visit if there’s a COVID-19 outbreak in the prison. Check guidance from the prison you’re visiting before you go.
There are other ways to stay in touch with someone in prison if you cannot visit them.
Visits you cannot book through this service
Contact the prison directly if you need to arrange any of the following:
- legal visits, for example legal professionals discussing the prisoner’s case
- reception visits, for example the first visit to the prisoner within 72 hours of being admitted
- double visits, for example visiting for 2 hours instead of 1
- family day visits - special family events that the prison organises
Help with the costs of prison visits
You may be able to get help with the cost of prison visits if you’re getting certain benefits or have a health certificate.