The laboratory provides diagnostic microbiological testing services for the examination of food, water and environmental samples.
Porton food, water and environmental laboratory provides public health focused testing in line with regulation and guidance for a range of stakeholders including: local authorities, Port health authorities, the NHS and commercial companies.
The laboratory serves the south of England.
The laboratory provides a range of services which include:
- general hygiene screens for food samples and surface swabs
- detection and identification of pathogens such as salmonella, listeria, campylobacter, vibrio, Escherichia coli O157 and other STEC by conventional techniques and PCR
- spoilage organisms such as yeasts and moulds
- shelf-life tests for foods
- dairy product testing including determination of phosphatase
- shellfish classification testing
- swimming and spa pool water quality
- potable and surface or recreational water quality
- legionella and pseudomonas in water supplies
- endoscopy rinse water and renal dialysis water (including endotoxin testing)
- support for investigation of outbreaks
- air testing for clean rooms and theatres
- accredited sampling (ships, hospitals, food businesses) for routine and outbreak
- pathogen testing of non-foods for outbreak investigations (animal faeces, bedding, soil, sand)
- UKAS no. 1645
- ISO 17025
Food, water and environmental microbiology laboratory Porton
Telephone 01980 616 766
Fax 01980 616 765