Choose a way to prove your identity

You need to confirm who you are before you can access your personal tax account.

To do this, you can create either a Government Gateway user ID or a GOV.UK Verify identity account.

Government Gateway

You’ll need:

  • your National Insurance number or UK address
  • a recent payslip or P60 or a valid UK passport

You can use your user ID for things like your personal or business tax account, Self Assessment, Corporation Tax, PAYE for employers and VAT.

Choose Government Gateway

GOV.UK Verify

GOV.UK Verify works best if you’re over 20 years old. You’ll need:

  • a UK address
  • a mobile phone
  • at least one valid photo ID from any country

You can use your identity account for things like Universal Credit, requesting a basic DBS check and Self Assessment.

Choose GOV.UK Verify