Marriages and civil partnerships in the UK

Giving notice at your local register office

For most marriages or civil partnerships you must give at least 28 full days’ notice at your local register office.

You need to include details of where you intend to get married or form a civil partnership.

Your notice will be publicly displayed in the register office for 28 days.

You may also need to give notice here if you plan to marry or form a civil partnership abroad. Ask the overseas authority if you’ll need a ‘certificate of no impediment’.

Contact your local register office to make an appointment.

You can only give notice at a register office if you have lived in the registration district for at least the past 7 days.

There are different rules for religious ceremonies.

You must get married or register your civil partnership within one year, or 3 months if you’re in Scotland.

Foreign nationals

There are different rules if you or your partner are a foreign national from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.