Documents you must provide
When you apply you’ll need to provide:
- a current passport or other valid travel identification
- proof that you can support yourself during your trip, for example bank statements or payslips for the last 6 months
- proof of your future plans for the relationship, for example documents to show where you’ll live
- details of where you intend to stay and your travel plans - you shouldn’t pay for accommodation or travel until you get your visa
You can also supply the following to support your application:
- details of the marriage or civil partnership and proof that you’ve paid money for some of its costs
- proof that you’re planning to get married in the UK, for example a booking confirmation or emails between you and the venue
If you’ve been married before, you’ll need to show proof that you’re free to marry or enter into a civil partnership again, for example a:
- decree absolute
- death certificate of a previous partner
You’ll need to provide a certified translation of any documents that aren’t in English or Welsh.
Read the guide for a full list of documents you can provide.
You may need to provide additional documents depending on your circumstances.