How to make a freedom of information (FOI) request

Skip to contents of guide

Organisations you can ask for information

You can request information from some public authorities, such as:

You can make an environmental information request to private or public companies that have public responsibilities - like water companies.

If you’re not sure if the organisation is one you can make a request to, check with the information commissioner for:

Information Commissioner’s Office
Telephone: 0303 123 1113
Welsh language: 0330 414 6421
Textphone: 01625 532692
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Find out about call charges